Your Crisis Team Customizes Search and Rescue Education for National Park Rangers

Educating National Park Service employees to enhance their Search and… (…)
It hardly seemed like work, to spend three days in Shenandoah National Park in late September, but the crew at Your Crisis Team puts in three solid days educating National Park Service employees to enhance their Search and Rescue skills.
 
The class was a mix of law enforcement rangers, back-country rangers, and key administrative staff (including Public Information, Communications, and GIS). After refreshing map and compass skills, we introduced a few new tricks for students to more effectively use their GPS units. Such as converting location information from US National Grid to Lat-Long and back, which is essential in efficiently and effectively communicating landing zones to incoming medivac choppers or even tracking down cell phone locations.
 
Our primary focus was to empower students to effectively establish the initial actions associated with the first report of a missing person. Including resource typing, putting the right resources in the right places, ensuring the accountability of searchers, and making it easy to document all their decisions and actions. In customizing this course we drew on our subject matter experts in search and rescue, land navigation and lost person behavior.
 
We focused on the skills associated with this phase because 60% of searches can be resolved during this time. By the third day, students demonstrated their ability to effectively start a search mission from anywhere in the park and how to facilitate the next steps for the other 40% of searches which will progress past this point. Including how to identify qualified resources, call them in, and seamlessly integrate them into an expanding incident.
 
To learn more… CLICK HERE
 
 
Related Your Crisis Team Coursework:
  • Search and Rescue for the First Responder
  • Lost Person Behavior
  • SAR Incident Command
  • Alzheimer Awareness for Law Enforcement and First Responders
  • Urban/Suburban Mission Person Search
  • GPS and Land Navigation
Categories:
Topics: ICS, SAR, Training

Find Articles by:

  • We'd Love to Hear Your Comments

    0 Comments

    Related Articles: Emergency Management

    Why A Severe Weather Watch Should Call For Action

    Why A Severe Weather Watch Should Call For Action

        (...) by Rick Christ We recently wrote about the need for trigger events in an emergency plan. A severe weather watch should trigger a series of just-in-time preparedness actions at your facility.   We conduct many tabletop exercises with healthcare...

    Stronger Together: 5 Ways to Honor and Support the EMS Community

    Stronger Together: 5 Ways to Honor and Support the EMS Community

        (...) by Rebecca Alwine Very few things in this life are certain, but one thing most Americans are confident of is that when they call 9-1-1, someone will answer. Those 9-1-1 operators are an important piece of the puzzle, and they do a fantastic job of...

    Take Advantage of the Downtime to Plan Ahead

    Take Advantage of the Downtime to Plan Ahead

        (...) by Rebecca Alwine There’s a small window on the calendar where emergency managers breathe a little easier. The time between the threat of severe winter weather and the start of hurricane season may be the only real downtime. But even then, there is...

    Our Newsletter

    Remember, we will NEVER share your email address or SPAM you.
    You may unsubscribe at any time.

    Website design & development by Carbon Six Digital Marketing Agency